Thursday, July 14, 2011

Inside Out / Maria V. Snyder / 315 p.

For me, Inside Out was a book that really had a little bit of everything: a likeable heroine, attractive boys, rebellion, romance, tragedy...everything!  I know that I am a major sucker for dystopian novels but this one was seriously awesome. I can't believe I didn't read it before!


In the world of Inside, the "Uppers" and "scrubs" live separate lives--dependent on each other but not really knowing what life is really like for the other half.  The world (and all information that flows within it) is controlled by the Travas and the "Pop Cops." When a "prophet" from the Upper levels shows up talking about the Gateway, Trella is determined to put a stop to such dreaming.  To prove him wrong, she goes after his "proof" and along the way starts a rebellion the likes of which Inside has never seen...



Trella is a scrub, destined to spend her life in the lower levels as one among many doing the 'dirty work.' From the beginning, she presents herself as someone who doesn't want you to like her.  She keeps her head low and doesn't make friends. She has an attitude that doesn't allow her to get close to anyone--the only exception being Cog, a boy she grew up with who everyone likes.  However, I found it hard not to like her, despite her attitude--or make "like isn't the right word: RESPECT.  She's definitely a tough chick with her head and her heart in the right place when it counts.  She may be standoffish in the beginning, but she definitely grows throughout the book and it's fantastic to watch her personality develop and her attitude shift (slowly but surely).

We've got a couple of awesome male characters alongside Trella throughout as well.  First, there's Cogon (or Cog, as everyone calls him).  Cog is Trella's only friend. They were birth mates and he's always been there for her, even as she tries to push everyone away.  I loved Cog (like everyone else I suppose!).  He was so genuine that I think you couldn't help but love him! And then there's Riley, the Upper who Trella meets by accident when she's (illegally) exploring the upper levels.  The two of them are quite the pair! I loved it as they try to get to know one another and uncover the myths that each side has been fed about the other. Trella is so untrusting of people and Riley has to work so hard to earn her trust.

Overall, I really enjoyed this book! It was a great addition to all the dystopias that I've read lately and I thought that the society was developed superbly.

No comments:

Post a Comment