Monday, March 21, 2011

Angel Burn / L.A. Weatherly / 464 p.

Willow has a special talent--she can sense peoples' feelings, know their regrets, and tell them their future.  Growing up she thought everyone had her ability--until she started using it and realized she was special.  Enter Alex.  When Alex arrives in Pawtucket, NY, his mission is simple: kill the angel.  However, what he finds is nothing he has encountered before and he has to make a choice: to kill or not to kill.  When Alex follows Willow to the meeting of the Church of Angels, he is puzzled by her even more and in a rather unlikely turn of events, the assassin becomes the rescuer when the mob of churchgoers turn against Willow.  The unlikely duo race across the country, away from the their common enemy and into an unknown future.  Along the way, they discover the true meaning of trust and what it is to really love someone, despite the odds against you.

Angel Burn was a refreshing addition to my reading shelf.  I am often a tad apprehensive about reading these types of books because at this point I've read so many and some are definitely disappointing.  This one, however, delivered!  The storyline started out a bit slow and I wasn't at all sure I was going to enjoy the book.  The prologue and first chapter left me wanting a little something more.  However, as soon as Willow and Alex team up, the story turns into a non-stop adventure that I couldn't put down.  I found myself turning page after page just to see what would happen next. Willow and Alex were unique characters with strong personalities.  Willow especially was a breath of fresh air in a genre where so many female leads are written as weak or flaky.  Willow was strong and independent (no Bella syndrome here--this girl can fix cars and everything!).  The romantic interest between the two develops throughout the story, which I really appreciated.  It wasn't an instant happening that came out of nowhere and I really appreciated that.

The one thing that bothered me with this one was the use of first-person narrative from Willow's perspective but third person for anyone else.  The switching back and forth caught me off-guard a couple of times but did not deter from my overall enjoyment of this book.


(Disclaimer: I received this book from Candlewick Press via NetGalley for my honest review.  It will be released in the US on 24 May 2011.)

No comments:

Post a Comment