Monday, March 7, 2011

Tender Rebel / Johanna Lindsey / 372 p.

A pretty cute romance, about a Scottish heiress who flees to London to escape marrying her despicable cousin, and falls under the spell of a confirmed rake. I liked how Lindsey keeps you guessing at what obstacles will keep these two apart; for example, you might think that when the heroine mistakes the hero's nephew for his son, this would cause a rift for a large portion of the plot, but instead the misunderstanding gets cleared up almost right away.

Roslynn has a lot of spunk, though for such a strong-willed woman I had to roll my eyes at how quickly she abandoned herself to the hero's embraces, but she still earned bonus points in my mind for jumping out the window when she is kidnapped.

This book reminds me of the classic romances of Georgette Heyer, only with less historical accuracy and more sex.(Seriously, could she not do a little research on prices back then? If Mr. Darcy is considered extremely wealthy with £10,000 a year,then I doubt Roslynn could buy several thousand pounds of furniture and consider it pocket change, much less give her husband an "allowance" of £2,000 a month.) I admit to skipping the graphic sex scenes, of which there are maybe a handful, with a fair amount of innuendo in between. But for all its silliness, I liked the close-knit family of the Mallorys, and enjoyed chuckling over the pointless drama the heroine and hero caused for themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment