Saturday, March 12, 2011

The Giver / Lois Lowry / 180p.

It's been such a long time since I read this (as in, I don't actually remember WHEN I read it...I just know that I did...at some point...I think), and I felt compelled, with my current interest in dystopian novels, to read (or re-read, I suppose) this one (partially because so many comparisons have been drawn to another novel I've read this year).

In this dystopian novel, Lowry presents us with a world that seems so much like our own...on the surface.  As we are introduced to the cast of characters and their world, the reader is drawn in to the intricacies that don't appear on the surface and the realization of just how different the world is (or has become).  What does "release" actually mean? What place, if any, does love have in such a society, where spouses and children are chosen for you? What is the real danger in memories?  Is there something better?  In Lowry's fictive world, Sameness rules.

I know that most people have read this so I won't dive into too much.  Suffice it to say that I would consider this really the ultimate in dystopian writings, especially for young adults.  If you enjoy reading dystopian fiction and you haven't read this, the only thing I can say is this: why not?  Lowry's writing is phenomenal and her world really does become real to the author.

No comments:

Post a Comment