Monday, March 28, 2011

If I Stay / Gayle Forman / 259p.

Mia's family was just going for a snow day drive.  They were going to visit friends, have dinner with grandparents, and simply spend the day together as a family.  All that changed instantly.  A car accident on a slick road took the lives of her family members and now, in a coma, Mia must choose--to stay and live without her family or to go and be with them.

This book was fabulous.  I'm really at a loss for how to describe this one.  The writing and the story are beautiful and thought-provoking.  I couldn't put his book down.  It really makes you stop and think.  Which choice is easier? The characters were very well-developed and dynamic.  The memories/recollections are written so vividly and woven into the storyline in such a way that you really get to know all the characters, even Mia's family.  It's almost hard to remember at times that the accident killed her family because the characters become so real.

This story reminded me a lot of Lovely Bones, which has topped my favorite books list since high school.  I haven't read something so thought-provoking and beautifully written in awhile.  This one was definitely worth buying because I know I'll read it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment